The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Busyness is a gift...

Happiness is...being busy...really?

Sometimes we wish life would just slow down for awhile...that time would stop for a day...that our obligations and duties would end, and that all the busyness in our lives could somehow vanish.

I feel this way, but I don't let those feelings stay for long.

After watching my mom continue to appreciate life this past year, even as she slowly lost the ability to do all the things she once loved to do, I have not taken for granted what a gift it is to be able to go, do, and appreciate the every day moments.

The past few days have been busy, and this is what we have been up to...


Ashlyn and Tom all dressed up for the Girl Scout, "Me and My Guy Magical Fairy Dance."


Ashlyn proudly said, "Daddy wait for me at the bottom of the stairs. I am going to make an entrance!"

The kids have been put to work....Ashlyn sung in all the Sunday services at church with the kids "Worship Team." Afterwards the kids had lots of eggs to fill. Our church is filling 10,000 eggs, (yes, you read that right...10,000 eggs!) for the BIG Easter egg hunt for the community. Here we are tackling a mere 200 hundred eggs. I offered to take 300 more this week. I've got willing helpers thankfully!

Ashlyn at the "Piano Festival" auditions where she memorized 4 songs, and was tested in music theory, sightreading, etc...in front of various judges. 40 Steinway pianos were brought in to a local high school for this big event!

Brownie Award night at the leaders home...we are still awaiting Ashlyn's cookie sale total, but she was all smiles to have earned several community service awards!


We've been busy hanging valances and putting together a kitchen table...well, really Tom did it all. I just "supervised" and directed!


We've been busy at the elementary school taking pictures for the yearbook, working in the classrooms, and serving at the "Spaghetti Dinner and Science Fair." Tom has been at work by 6 a.m. everyday and doesn't return until 7:30 p.m. (and how grateful we are that he has a job during these tough economic times.) Kyle's doing lots of homework preparing for state testing next week, playing his guitar and violin...errands are run, laundry is folded, meals are prepared, phone calls and faxes are sent to continue the long process of wrapping up my parents estate...and lots of time is needed to develop the scholarship applications...and the list goes on...life has been busy.

And I am grateful.
Please share with us what you have been busy with this week...was it a burden or a blessing? I hope your many activities were a blessing, and that just being alive, to be busy, will enable you to be grateful today!
P.S. Be watching for a special giveaway on March 16th, and later this week for that fashion show you requested! hee hee :-)

9 comments:

glitzen said...

I can't believe I am still up at 2:52 am (dang Dr Pepper!) but there is nothing I would rather be doing than reading your blog. Really! What a great post. Darling pics of Ashlyn and her daddy...just precious! You guys have sure been busy. Wow. We have been crazy busy too. Guess its a blessing though. Helping my neighbor get through a tough week (one month anniversary of her husband's sudden death), the girls' homeschool presentations, my get-away, my husband is gone for a few days, we are lamb-sitting soon so we are getting ready for that. Phew. Lots going on, and its all good. Sorry for the "novel" but you know I can ramble...hee hee.
I love all you guys are doing. Oh and I think your dining room looks amazing. Stunning.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Denise, I loved seeing all the pictures, but the ones of your daughter and her daddy were just precious. Look at her smiling face! Every day in childhood should be joyous, and I can tell what happy children you have! I believe in celebrating the small things as well because that's the stuff of which life is made.

For a long time, it seemed that I went from mountaintop experience to mountaintop experience (Thanksgiving to Christmas, Christmas to Valentine's Day, Valentine's Day to Easter, Easter to birthdays to Fourth of July to more birthdays, anniversary, etc.). But each day in between is important, too.

I'm also trying to enjoy the Lord each day. When I was small, I grew up in the Presbyterian Church, and we were taught the catcechism based on the Westminster Confession of Faith. One of the questions is: What is the chief end of man? And the answer is: Man's chief end is to glorfiy God and to enjoy Him forever. I always got the glorify part, but the older I get, I think I finally get the "enjoy" Him part, too. After all, He wants us to be happy about being in communion with Him on a daily basis. I always heard the Lord loves a cheerful giver, but I think that could be taken one step further to read, the Lord loves a cheerful Christian, someone who loves being with Him.

I think you've learned that lesson well, and your mother was an excellent teacher. So was my grandmother. I used to visit her a lot as a child, and her life was filled with her Bible, her friends, her family, and singing hymns unto God. I still see her in my mind's eye singing "In the Garden" while she was pruning or picking roses that grew up a trellis near an old cistern that had to have been over 100 years old. Sorry for the ramble, but I enjoyed your post and guess it really made me think... and smile.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kim said...

Hi Denise,
I found your blog so hopeful and joyous today! What a great and busy life you are leading to make special moments for your children, your community and even people all over the world wide web. :-)

I also enjoyed reading both previous comments and reflecting on the positive attitudes and gratitude for God's goodness and provision. I especially gleaned from Magpie's reflection of being a cheerful Christian. Right ON!

My week has been busy with most of the normal activities but I must say that as my children get older the super hectic pace has slowed down considerably. You never think you will miss those days of crazy but you do. Tyler is back home again too which is a blessing but also a setback as he looks for work. Will share more later.

Thanks for the great post my dear friend. LYLAS

This and That said...

Thank you, Denise, I needed that! This week has been incredibly busy. Mixed in with all the usual busyness of our famiy's life (practices, games, laundry, work, sick kid...) has been the preparation for our annual women's retreat this weekend. I have to admit that I have been less than joyful about my busyness! Thank you for the reminder that being busy is a gift. If I look ahead I can realize that all this prep work this week will give me the gift of loving on and serving our church ladies for the weekend.

Thank you, too, Magpie for your thoughts... "to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." I want that too!

Kim, as always, Tyler will be in our prayers.

Denise - Love the dining room! And thanks again for your reminders!

Sue said...

Hi Denise!!

What fun you have been up to!! I'd happily fill Easter eggs with you, if I were closer. Oh what fun!!

This week has been filled with senior ball dress shopping, and shopping for Dani's 16th birthday on St Patrick's Day. She doesn't want to do anything for her birthday, but I have a couple things up my sleeve. ;-) We did find one dress for Allie, and she looks beautiful. She wants to keep shopping just in case the perfect dress is out there, but feels much less stressed knowing that she has a lovely dress just in case. Girls! haha
We have also been following a local basketball team, and they just won NCS and are now on their way to State. It's been fun being able to just watch without doing stats. Of course, that is fun in itself. :-)
Went to Bible Study this morning and am loving the Esther study. It's Tough Being a Woman.... you can imagine!!

Stay well, and thanks for keeping us up to date on all your goings on. You and the house look fantastic!!

Love ya!
Sue

Melissa said...

Great post Denise! I think being busy is a blessing. We just have our normal stuff happening this week but since I was sick AGAIN last week I am appreciating just being up to folding laundry, running errands, etc. I take it all for granted most of the time but it is good to remember that even the mundane is a blessing. :)

btw, I read a book the other day that was so positive and upbeat, the whole time I thought of you! It reminded me of your attitude during tough times...very good!

stefanie said...

Your 'busy' would be my 'completely overwhelming'!

I loved it when Steve and the girls got to go to Father Daughter events. They grew up too fast!

This is the first time I've gotten to really look at the redesign. It's fantastic!

Lucy Marie said...

How wonderful for Ashlyn to get a taste of how wonderful it is to Praise God at such a young age.

I am so happy to hear that you are finding joy in the busyness ... I find that hard to do sometimes so I greatly appreciate the reminder. My busy looks quite different than yours and many of your readers (where you all have kid's activities etc, I have my own activities and school commitments etc), however, I still feel the need to slow down, pause and reflect on God's love for me because I often forget to do that.

Thank you for the encouragement you've provided here.

Traci said...

how easy it is to take things like being busy for granted. yes, it's stressful but i want to be thankful that i have the physical ability to be that way. too often i take too much for granted, thanks for the reminder!
my daughter and her daddy have their first daddy/daughter dance this weekend...stop by next week for pictures!