The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Beauty that ages well...

Everyday it seems I notice a few more lines, a new wrinkle here or there, and little signs that I am aging despite my effort to stay young. I try to remember that just like being busy is a gift, aging is a gift too.

These beauties aren't getting any younger...the pink girl in front is 119 years old and see how great she looks!

These beautiful quilts were carefully folded and stored in the closet at my parents house. As the process unfolds of what to bring home and keep of my parents belongings, this decision was an easy one. What special heirlooms to preserve that were so lovingly sewn by hand. And what a fine example that some things just get better with age!

I have wanted to display these quilts but am now hesitant to leave them out. The quilt in front was born in 1890 and was given to my dad in 1940.

She has aged well and I don't want to harm her with natural light or do anything to damage her fibers. So, both of these lovelies may need to go back into the closet to "preserve" their integrity.

How fortunate we are that with each new year, and each new wrinkle we too get better with age.

Aging can still be tough and we tend to want to "preserve" ourselves.

We stick with what we know and become complacent in our comfort zone.

We may start to resist change and preserve ourselves by going inward rather than reaching out and taking advantage of all that life has to offer us today.

Unlike the quilts that shouldn't be out in the light, or be touched, let's not allow ourselves to fall into that category. Let yourself be touched by stories around you...if you have been longing to help someone...or learn something new...or travel...or visit and old friend...don't wait...don't "preserve" yourself in a comfort zone...get out into the light and LIVE FULLY today! :-)

11 comments:

Sofia Striffler said...

Those are beautiful quilts. I know it is hard to put them away but you are probably right about doing that.

Talk to you soon

Kim said...

Deep and wonderful thoughts about the joy of things valued. Loved what you have to share and will reflect on it as I go through my day.

LYLAS-

Linda said...

What great thoughts Denise. I do plan to live fully this weekend...I'll be spending it with family, family that I don't get to see too often. I can't wait!

The quilts are so beautiful but it's a shame that they can't be displayed for everyone to enjoy all the time. You're right though, they probably should be tucked away to help keep them preserved. How wonderful that they will someday be lovingly handed down to your two children also.

Faith finished my button and it turned out great! She was so nice to work with. Thank you Denise again for the generous giveaway. I really appreciate it! I'll blog about it today.

glitzen said...

Wonderfully expressed!
What gorgeous quilts. What stories they could tell. I love this post, Denise! :)

Sue said...

You are so uplifting, thank you.

Love,
Sue

nini said...

Well put Denise! I will try my hardest to take your advice. I seem to have approached aging with my heels firmly dug in! Thank you for your inspiration!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Denise, I know how you feel about those quilts, but I hate for you not to enjoy them. So what if they fade a little! What good are they to you in some old trunk? Do you remember that article by Erma Bombeck, "If I Had My Life To Live Over"? She said to burn that carved candle with the roses before it melted in its box. LOL!

Use that quilt, girl! Quilts were meant to be used. That's why they were made. Just keep it out of direct light. And if you wash it, use something very gentle. If you are worried about light... fold it differently every few weeks. Flip it around so light hits it evenly. But use that quilt! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Faith said...

Oh my, I just loooovvee old quilts and yours are so pretty!! What a treasure to have those special pieces to hold on to.

I love the pics from your previous post. The kiddos are adorable! I'm glad Ashlyn's performance went well!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Denise, I'm back and hopefully with an answer to your question. The weather right now in Central Florida is warm and dry. I would pack so that you can be comfortable in weather which is warm. But bring a jacket in case you need to layer up at night. It depends on when you come. The further into March, it starts to warm. In April, it can be very warm, but still comfortable... at least for natives. LOL! The best thing to do is to go online before you leave to weather.com and check their ten-day forcast. They are usually pretty accurate, and it will give you an idea of what to pack. But right now, the humidity is low. It will crank up in May, if not a little before. Hope this helps.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Unknown said...

I have 2 beautiful well used and loved quilts that belonged to my great Aunt. She was 98 and passed away 2 years ago. Because they are worn, I keep on on the foot of my bed, just to look nice. My sister quilts and she reinforced a few things before sending them to me, I'll cherish them always.
I love your blog, this post is so heartfelt.

Jennifer@woodleycottage said...

Hi there. What a great post! We have a Baptismal gown that has been in our family for generations. It was first worn in 1881 and my youngest was the last to wear it 3 years ago. We took it to the Witte Museum and spoke with their textiles expert. She advised us to store it in an acid free box with acid free paper and stressed NO PLASTIC! The material needs to breathe. Since it is made of cotton, as is your quilt I would assume, with proper care it should last another 100 years. The only textile with a true "shelf life" is silk. It will just dissolve over time. We were told that our gown should be around for my children's grandchildren to wear! We were delighted to hear that. She did also say that she was so glad to see it being used! It is a tragedy to have something so special and have it live in a closet never to be seen or appreciated.
Should you have any questions regarding your quilt, I am sure you could contact your local museum. The textiles expert should be able to tell you how you can enjoy your treasure and still preserve/maintain its beauty. It shouldn't cost you anything to speak with them, however, we gave a nice little donation in return for the great knowledge we obtained regarding our priceless heirloom.
Have a great day!