The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Not last night but the night before...

Not last night but the night before, a tall dark stranger came knocking on my door...

Whenever the phone or doorbell rings late at night, it's usually bad news. Monday night was no exception. Foruntately, in terms of the bad news, it could have been much worse so I'm not complaining.

It all started as a night with frequent wake up calls from unhappy family members. I wasn't feeling that well with my dental work earlier in the day, so I turned in early to let the pain medicine do it's job. A few hours later and fast asleep, Ashlyn came in crying as she was scared by some noises she was hearing. The mystery noises required my presence, out of bed of course. I got her tucked back in bed and had just fallen asleep when Kyle came in and announced that he felt slighted that all his California friends had Mon. and Tues. off from school for Veterans' Day, and it was unfair that he had to go to school. Not a valid reason for waking me from my slumber, but I got him pacified and back to bed. An hour later around midnight, I was once again fast asleep, and the doorbell rang. I thought it was just in my dream until it rang again.

The dairy driver was at the door in the dark of night apologizing profusely for getting stuck underneath our archway that is midway on the property drive. He backed his truck up and broke a light, pulled apart a beam, etc...He asked if I wanted to come out and see it. I was in my pajamas and half asleep under pain medicine sedation, so I told him it wouldn't be necessary but I would tell my husband and we would assess the damage in the morning. He didn't want to let it go telling me how this has never happened before, how our business is greatly appreciated, and that the company would fix the damage, etc...etc...I tried to reassure him that accidents happen, in the great big scheme of things it was not a big deal, and not to worry.

At last I was back in bed, when I woke with a start remembering the "Tooth Fairy" needed to make an appearance and I had forgotten! So for the 3rd time that night, I went downstairs, this time scrambling through my purse trying to find coins or dollar bills. All I had were big bills. Our "Tooth Fairy" will consider delivering a big bill if there has been substantial pain and suffering involved in the tooth a tooth pulling from the dentist! This certainly wasn't a $20 dollar tooth, so what was I to do in the middle of the night? Well, I did the only thing there was to do, and left the one $5 bill I could find in the house. WAY too much money for an easy tooth loss, but what's a mother,
I mean "Tooth Fairy" to do?!? :-)

Anyway, the night ended safely disposited under the pillow...dairy farm driver on his way, medicine working well on my teeth, and Kyle fast asleep despite the terrible injustice of having to attend school on a holiday! Gasp! Lucky Tom, slept through the whole night and never knew all the midnight excitement occured until the next morning! Maybe next time I'll get lucky! :-)


sue bakalar said...

HAHAHA... Girl, you should write a book! Seriously, I'm sorry you had to endure all of this, but it sounds like a sitcom.

Hope you're all caught up on your sleep and feeling better!

Melissa said...

I am surprised you could deal with all of that while on medication! What a mom. You are a tough woman! :-)