The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Friday, November 21, 2008

Grandma Lorraine~Nov. 21

Today my mom was in a good mood when I spoke to her, and was feeling well. She was able to enjoy a nice day yesterday. Gayle took her out for a car ride and lunch at the park. She also took in the good weather and sat in her wheelchair to soak up the sun. Unfortunately, when the Hospice nurse came this afternoon they discovered that she has 'shingles' which is a form of chicken pox. It is caused by the same virus, and people with compromised immune systems are most at risk. We hope the shingles won't cause her anxiety, and that once again modern medicine can provide relief from pain and any discomfort. I'll keep you posted as we learn more...

3 comments:

Kim said...

I am so sorry that your mom has one more thing to deal with. :-(

I pray that there is something to help with the pain. I know it is very painful. Our prayers continue.

Sue said...

Awww... poor Mom! I hope they caught the shingles quick enough, and they might be able to give her something to shorten the disease. I got it last year. UGH...

Other than that, she sounds good. Enjoying the sunshine and outdoors. Bless her heart. And Bless you for dealing with it from so far away.

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Love ya
Sue

Jody Floyd said...

I totally understand what your mom is going through Denise, I came down with shingles myself on Monday. It's miserable, fortunately it's on my right side and down my leg, I hope her doctor caught it early. I'm taking some really good medicines to treat it as I'm sure she is as well, but I've found that Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and Caladryl "Clear" lotion is drying it up and helping with itching the most. Maybe it would help your mom too if she hasn't already discovered it. I haven't found anything for the swelling and pain yet though, I'm not a fan of pain meds so I'm still looking, will let you know if I come across something she might be able to use.

Please know that I'm thinking of you all and will keep everyone in my prayers.

Love,
Jody