The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Saturday, November 1, 2008

A "haunting" good time...

Amidst my sadness remembering the passing of my dad, the kids asked if "Papa Harry" would be upset that we would be celebrating Halloween. I reassured them that he would want them to dress up, go trick-or-treating, and enjoy the day. He would want us to use the day as a reminder of him, but wouldn't want for us to get stuck in sadness or not celebrate happy occasions thinking it would be disrespectful.

I often wonder what my dad would say at different times in our lives when I'm not sure how to handle a situation. I think when someone passes there is a lot of second guessing decisions, and a strong sense of doing the right thing by the person we've lost. When I am confused over such things, I remember that I really do know what my dad would say if he were here.

I think I know what he would want, and I think I know what he would tell me. In my heart I know he would just want one thing for us...happiness. So, last night we went and trick-or-treated...Ashlyn screamed at the fun scary houses...Kyle laughed under his swamp creature mask...we were given cookies at a friend's house...we smiled seeing familiar faces behind doors...we came home and sorted all the candy into categories by the fire...and ultimately, I realized, we were happy. And that would have been just what he wanted.

Ashlyn's class party...the kids enjoyed cookies, orange Sprite, Halloween Bingo and a parade!

2nd graders incognito...

The swamp monster and Hannah Montana getting ready to trick-or-treat.



Ashlyn as Hannah Montana

Serenading the scarecrow...

Ugly, scary, and gross...the things 13 year old boys LOVE!

It was inevitable..the monster had to attack the singer before the night was over...at least mom got a few photos first!

Getting scared leaving a house...this family was creative and had a little girl run away from the porch screaming, and then a masked man came out from behind with a chain saw...the kids LOVED it!

Trick-or-treating around McIntosh Lake.

Counting all the candy...Ashlyn got so upset when Tom kept pretending to eat her stash. She will be hiding her goods under her bed! ha ha

Lotsa loot!

Now that all the festivities are over...I realize the next round of holiday fun begins...out with the pumpkins and in with the turkeys! (And, just because I know you really need to know this...only 54 more days until Christmas!)

4 comments:

Sue said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. I'm glad. As parents, all we want for our kids is to be happy (and healthy, of course)... I think your dad is glad to know that you are happy.

Melissa said...

Good times! Looks like Hannah and Swampy had a nice night! Hope you did too!

Kim said...

You are so right when you wrote that all parents want is for their children to be happy. The older "my kids" get the more true that saying becomes. Your dad would be so proud of you and your family.

Loved the swamp thing and Hannah's photo shoot!

stefanie said...

Great photos! Glad you enjoyed the day (and night)!