The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Grandma Lorraine~ Nov. 19th

Things are changing. My mom has only been awake about 5 out of the last 36 hours. She was ill last night, the result of an over the counter medication to help with intestinal issues. The CNA who comes to help with baths can no longer do so, she will have sponge baths from now on. She is still friendly, cheerful, and upbeat on the phone with me, but is quick to wrap up a conversation. I have sensed the difficulty in sustaining a conversation and don't want to burden her more. A brain tumor is a controlling, ever growing entity that won't stop it's spread until it takes over the person's brain it occupies. Watching someone you love change, is a difficult thing under any circumstance, but especially when it is not their choice or a result of their own doing. But that is how cancer works, and when it grows to 'stage 4' status there is no stopping it...at least not yet. I hope and pray that a cure for this awful disease will be found in our lifetime, and until then, I hope and pray that those who suffer from it, can find peace in their journey. I know my mom has, and we are so thankful.

Special thanks:
Annette, for being there last night during a difficult time...
Brenda, for the relaxing massage you gave my mom...
Rema, for making house calls and continuing to give my mom the lovely toes and nails she loves...
Gayle, for caring for my mom when I can't...
Sharon and Sandy, for late night shifts, for getting up during the night, for cleaning, cooking, and making my mom comfortable...
To all of you who sent a note of encouragement, who dropped by with food and groceries, who ran errands, came by for a visit, to pick up a prescription, or just stopped over to give my mom a hug...
WE APPRECIATE YOU and wouldn't have had peace in this journey without you. THANK YOU!

3 comments:

stefanie said...

Praying for you both.

Kim said...

It is such a difficult time. I am glad that your mom can look forward to you being there next week. It is wonderful that there are so many caring people in RB to be there when you can't.

Love you all.

Sue said...

I'm sorry that you are all going through this and will continue to keep you all in prayer. I agree with you... I hope that we find a cure one day soon, and I pray that those dealing with diseases at all can find peace.

Love,
Sue