The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Grandma Lorraine Update

Thank you to so many of you who sent me e-mails asking about my mom...I apologize for not updating on her status more often on the blog. The saying, "no news is good news" has usually applied to her health when I am quiet with updates. Thank you for your concern, and I will try to start doing a daily update, even if it is brief, as I know her friends (and our kind blog readers!) are anxious to hear any news.

I call a few times a day to talk to her and see how the day is going. Yesterday I called 3 times, and only one of those times was I able to speak to her in person. She has been resting/sleeping more than the usual, but Gayle (her caregiver during the daytime, 4 days a week) said she is trying to wake her several times through-out the day so she won't get her days and nights mixed up. Yesterday when my mom was up and well rested, they went for a car ride and stopped at Baskin Robbins for ice cream! My mom was in such a good mood to get out and enjoy that time. With the rain they have been having, she had 'cabin fever' and was happy to drive through town and enjoy the sights.

Her health remains 'status quo' right now. Some days are of course better than others in terms of confusion, comfort, etc...There is a new Hospice nurse that comes to the house two times a week. They really like her a lot as she is very thorough, and stays for at least two hours making sure all questions are answered, etc...I feel frustrated at times wanting more concrete information such as a new MRI to see how the tumor is progressing, or more 'specifics' that can help us see how the disease is progressing. Once someone is no longer seeking active treatment, the role of Hospice and any medical care is purely "palliative" or "comfort care." They treat symptomatically to help the patient just be comfortable. Since that is the case, some symptoms I question. It is hard to know if increased leg weakness or sleepiness is due to the tumor or to the powerful medications she is given. Could some of the confusion be medication related or all tumor related? Hospice reassures me that she is progressing through this disease as they would expect.

The fortunate news is that my mom is at peace with the situation, she is not in any pain, and is able to sleep well through the night with medication. As Gayle tells me not to be sad or worry as she is very comfortable, I try and remember that. As new landmarks are reached I will keep you posted. She has enjoyed short visits from friends, and so I would encourage you to stop by if you have been desiring to do so. Call ahead and her caregiver can let you know when would be a good time...

Live well today, and ENJOY!

6 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Wow. This is so hard to read, but I'm in awe of your sweet spirit and the peace you all seem to have in this situation. My prayers are with your family today.

stefanie said...

Thanks for the update. Still praying for you and for her.

Kim said...

The simple pleasures of life. A drive to enjoy the sights and some ice cream. Enjoying each moment that God gives is a gift in itself.
Thanks for keeping us updated and I pray your mom continues to be pain free.
Thank you Lord for Gayle and the great hospice nurse!

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise, we would love to stop by and see your mom I'm sure she would love to see David. I wasn't sure if she was up to visitors since she has hospice and caretakers there all the time. If we should happen to go see her, I would like to bring her some flowers can you please let me know what her favorites are? my email address is bryce_suzanne@att.net

Thanks

Sue said...

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad she is able to sleep, and how fun to get out and have ice cream. Thank you for reminding us that the simple things are so important.

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Darlene said...

Thanks for stopping back by and I haven't been to visit you in a while either...sorry about that.

It sounds like your mom is doing the best she can do right now and not in pain...that is a blessing in itself.

I browsed down your blog a bit and I LOVE all of your Thanksgiving decorations....CUTE, cute!!!!