The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

Have you heard of "Amish Friendship Bread" or as some folks call it, "Enemy Bread?" Well, I for one do not see it as "Enemy Bread" but some do as it keeps growing and expanding and taking up your kitchen counter for days, weeks, even months! hee hee Here's a photo of the concept:

You are given a cup of starter mix which bubbles and ferments for 5 days until you "feed" it a cup of sugar, a cup of milk, and a cup of flour. You stir this concoction daily until the 10th day when you bake it and "feed" it once again to give to friends along with a copy of the recipe, some tastey bread, and a new starter mix. I think it's lots of fun, and our kids love to watch it rise and "ferment." I am already on my 3rd batch and think it's a great gift for "friends" or "enemies" as the case my be! hee hee I just hope the 6 folks who received this "gift" on their doorstep today, know it was given in good faith that they are indeed "friends!" :-) And by the way, let me know if you would like the recipe to "gift" your friends as well!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I too, like Friendship bread! I remember one year (I was in Jr high or Highschool) and EVERYONE at church was passing it around until we all got really sick of it! But it sure is yummy!

Anonymous said...

would you be able to email me the recipe i've always wanted to try it.