The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Blogger Buddies, Election Day, and Turkeys


A beautiful day to vote!


Thank you "Blogger Buddies" for reading, commenting, voting on our polls, and following our family story. I'm so happy that you stop by to visit. Kyle and Ashlyn have enjoyed reading everyones favorite candy choices, but are disappointed that I forgot to add Sweet Tarts and Red Hots to the list of choices. Once you form a poll on blogger, you can't change any aspect of it, so my apologies to those whose favorite sweet may not be listed! hee hee I should have asked favorite veggie or fruit, but you can see where our hearts and taste buds were when we formed the poll! :-)

Speaking of voting, the kids have become very interested in this election year. Ashlyn has asked all the kids in class, her Brownie group, etc...who they are voting for. I told her it was not polite to ask adults. Instead, she asks the kids, who repeat their parents choice I am sure. Kyle and Ashlyn both were concerned today about what the future of America will be with either candidate. They aren't concerned with health care or the economy at 7 and 13 years old, but ask about wars and safety. I don't know if this was the right response, but I told them that ultimately, we have to know that both candidates want what is best for our country, and that neither will do anything that will knowingly jeopardize our safety or national security. For young kids, these are the issues they think about and discuss on the playground. As a mother, I want our children to feel safe first and foremost...no matter who is elected...although we all have our preferences! :-)

I know many of our CA Bay Area friends have been following the story of Korrine Croghan who passed away last week after a 10 month battle with childhood cancer. I know several of you will be attending her "Celebration of Life" on Sat. If you are able, please share my condolences and sympathy with her family. Yesterday our friend Lorri, from "Terrible and Beautiful" on the sidebar, hosted an hour at her home where we prayed for the Croghan Family during this time of loss. It was a special hour, but I am so weepy anymore that I fall apart when we talk about my mom, dad, and Korrine who I never knew, but felt so touched by her story of strength, faith, and grace.

On a lighter note, the jack-o-lanterns have all been put away for the year, and the turkeys have come out to play! Thank goodness for daughters who like to clean, sort, and organize! Ashlyn was a big help this year helping me fill 5 boxes of Halloween decor to put away. She set up the turkeys, cornucopias, and "We are Thankful" signs, books, and shelf sitters.

I so enjoy decorating, but the whole process is daunting when I think of setting it all out, and then having to put it all away a month later...and just think, all the Christmas decor will be coming out soon! I'm tired just thinking about it! hee hee

Did you know you can hire decorators to come to your home and set up all your holiday decor for you??? Wouldn't that be nice! My friend Sofia is a decorator, and when we lived in our last community she was just getting started on her business. She came one year and helped decorate all of our stair banisters with garland, ribbon and lights one afternoon. What a wonderful feeling to have a professional come and make everything beautiful! This year I have a daughter who is old enough to help, a son who would love to climb an extension ladder, and a hubby who is happy to teach the next generation how to hang exterior Christmas lights.

Gee, now that I think about it, I'm not feeling so tired anymore!
Give thanks and have an "attitude of gratitude!"


Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!

Welcome holiday season!

5 comments:

stefanie said...

Turkeys make me smile!

I read your blog on reader, so I often forget to stop and look around...had I known you were doing a favorite candy poll, I would have voted for SKITTLES. Besides being my favorite candy, they are my favorite breakfast. Especially with Pepsi. Obviously, I don't get to have that breakfast very often, but when I do, I am happy indeed.

Melissa said...

Love the new background. I am so impressed that you decorate for each season...I never even think about doing it or buying the stuff to decorate. I always feel happy just to get the Christmas tree up! :-p Haha! Perhaps I will get inspired enough to get some stuff up sometime. Or, I will just keep checking here for all of your beautiful pictures! Yay, that last idea sounds like me!

Btw, I have had similar conversations with my girls about voting and the future. I think you said exactly the right thing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,

I didn't vote on my favorite Candy because mine too wasn't listed...Snickers!

I'll have to remember that Sofia decorates for the Holidays...One year YOU were my decorator. Helping me decorate the Tree and Banister and Mantle so Professionally! Our tree, banister & Mantle hasn't looked so beautiful since you left...boo hoo! We miss you!

Hope all is well w/ your mom!

Laura

Sue said...

Hey!
Well I voted for Mounds... mine WAS listed! haha I don't eat them often, but sure love the coconutty filling. :-)

Don't feel bad being weepy, we all get that way. I'm so glad you went to Lorri's. It was a beautiful tribute to the Croghan family. I'm sure they felt your prayers.

Have a wonderful evening and thanks for the great pix of the upcoming holiday and for reminding us to Give Thanks!!

Love ya
Sue

Kim said...

I concur, your new blog layout looks incredible! You just may have inspired me to go up into the attic and get the Thanksgiving/fall decorations out as well. I too am in your camp as I also have a daughter who is very good about helping me with those types of things. You are amazing though. I can never reach your status! Love you lots!