The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve Kindness


Happy New Year's Eve to our friends and family both near and far! We are wishing you all a year of good health and memories to treasure! Today my mom was moved to the, "Transitional Care Unit" of the hospital where she will receive extensive physical therapy to regain strength before coming home. This floor is in the older part of the hospital, so she does not have the "luxury" rooms that she did before! The nurses quickly told us that although this floor leaves little to be desired, the care is better than anywhere else in the hospital! That is a fine response, as my mom will need to spend some time there while she regains strength from her neurosurgery, and begins her radiation and chemotherapy treatments.


We have missed our wonderful circle of friends and family back in California, and have felt like we will be fighting this cancer battle on our own here in Colorado; until this week that is! Tonight, my riding instructor and friend, Kate, brought us a delicious meal that just warmed us right up, both physically and emotionally! (My mom loved the flowers and beautiful homemade "horsey" cards too Kate!) Kate has only known us since Sept. but she stepped right up and anticipated our needs before even we knew what we needed! Thank you Kate! Another kind friend, Barb, has taken Ashlyn for a playdate and is bringing a meal next week as well. Tonight I also got a call from some very kind Longmont moms who just want to help us, as they knew we were all alone here in Colorado. These kind gestures, have just confirmed how welcoming Coloradoans are, and we are so grateful!


Tomorrow my mom's dear friend Annette, is flying in from California to help for a week! We are so happy to have her, and I know my mom will be so pleased to see another familiar face, especially one so loved! I printed off all the kind comments you have left for my mom in our blog entries, and read them all to her tonight. Hearing your comments brought her to tears, and made her feel so loved knowing how many prayers and thoughts are coming her way. Thank you all, both near and far, for all your support! It is appreciated more than you can ever know. I hope we can one day repay the favor to you!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Lorraine's picture on your website tonight. Lorraine, you look too good to be in the hospital!! I'm excited about my trip tomorrow. I hope, while there, I will be of some help. I am SO looking forward to seeing you all!
Love,
Annette

P.S. Denise and Tom, my plane is supposed to arrive at 7:15 from Las Vegas, flight 641 - Southwest. I'll be in touch!!

Beth said...

Hi,
I agree with Annette, you're looking great, Lorraine! That's wonderful news that Annette will be visiting this week!

Love,
Beth :o)

Kim said...

So happy to hear that there are wonderful friends to support you both near and far! It is a blessing to feel "loved" by those who lend a helping hand when we need it. We wish we were closer to be able to do some of those hands on things as well, so hearing it makes it a bit easier on us here in California!

Lorraine you look great! Enjoy your time with Annette this week!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a chance to be able to see and hear how Lorraine is doing. I know how strong Lorraine is, as well as her family. Though many of us wish we could be out there to help, know we will be here for you in whatever way we can!

Lorraine, you are looking great!

Love,
Sheri

Ladean said...

Denise and family I was so sad to learn the news of your mom. It wasn't that long ago I sat across from her and had lunch. I will keep all of you in my prayers and thoughts. Your mom is a wonderful person and I've always loved her. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you on this end, I would be more than happy to do whatever you may need.
And thank you Denise for taking the time to keep us informed.
God Bless and may he keep you strong!

Ladean

Anonymous said...

Hello All and especially, My friend Lorraine,
I send to you and your family a Happy New Year...We are delighted Annette it going to be with you this week. Angels are wonderful.
We love each of you and send to you all our very best. Know we are here and if you need anything, please just tell us and we will do it. Our very best to you,
Betty and her family and of course...DKG

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,
I just got the news today. I'm still in denial. Lorraine looks great the site. Her strength is in her faith and that will help her through this. I'm adding my prayers and best wishes. Please give her a big hug for me. Looks like you've settled in to a Rocky Mountain High life! Wonderful family pictures.
Love,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Denise, Thank you for keeping all of us back in Northern CA informed. Lorraine, I agree with Annette, you look too good to be in the hospital. You are a strong lady and it's good to see you smiling. Bruce,Bruce Jr and Katie send their love. So hang tough and as others have said, if there's anything we can do, just let us know. Love, Susie

Anonymous said...

Denise, Thank you so much for letting us know how everyone is doing. The pictures are great. I have to agree, Lorraine, you look wonderful! Your smile is as bright as ever, you are a stong woman. I know first hand, if you're eating, you're much happier. ;o)
How wonderful that Annette will be there with you for. Family and friends are real treasures, and you are rich in both. If there is anything that I can do, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Love,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Dear Lorraine and Kofford family!

You have a journey but the power of all our prayers and the love of friends and family are bountiful! All of us in California are ready to do whatever you need or want.

Attitude is everything and Lorraine, yours has always been an inspiration to me! Bet you didn't know that but it has and is!

Denise, thank you for taking the time to keep those of us far away posted!