The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thank you friends near and far!

Thank you for your kind response to my last post. All of you who left blog comments, e-mails, and phone calls; we so appreciate your thoughts and prayers knowing you are supporting us during this challenging time.

I spoke with my mom tonight and she is trying her best to be upbeat and cheerful with me. What a lady! I will go with her to the oncologist appointment on Monday and we will hear all the options available to her. She is leaning in one direction, and needs to make tough decisions before the brain tumor/cancer cells further affect her thought process. She said tonight that she is feeling increasingly more confused, foggy, and frustrated with her thinking. I can only imagine how disconcerting this must be! We talked about her wishes so that I will know exactly what she wants when she is no longer able to speak for herself. Until then, I hope she will share all her thoughts, feelings, fears, and wishes that she can.

BIG thanks to Annette, Gayle, and Sherry for being there with my mom during this recent hospital stay. The three of you are amazing friends, and we wouldn't be able to honor my mom's wishes of remaining at home without your support. Thank you Gayle from Interim Healthcare for taking such great care of my mom during the days, and Sarah for the evenings! What angels you all are!

I'll be leaving for California this weekend and returning on Wednesday. I'm so blessed to have a supportive husband who is willing to do anything to support us during this time, new friends in Colorado who are waiting to help, and friends and extended family in California who are there for us however we may need. ALL of you encourage my mom in many ways, and make the challenges of being an only child so much easier for me. Your advice, assistance, and awesome attitude are the best! Whew, that is a lot of "A's!"

I will update the blog as we learn more, and share your wishes with my mom. I know your kind comments are such a comfort to her!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Denise in the midst of all this a big thank you for taking the time to keep us informed as well. Your dear sweet mom is such an inspiration and I love the amazing person she is! All our love and prayers here in Redding are with you in Red Bluff and Longmont.

p.s. thank you Tom for being such a support as well!

Anonymous said...

Denise,

Just wanted to also thank you for your blog! I was sorry to see that the cancer had returned. I talked with your mom last night. Let me know if there is anything you need. I know that you and your mom have so many supportive people to help you both out. The Antelope staff sends their thoughts and prayers out to your family and is there if you need us.

Sheri