The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

News from home...

Tonight I got a call from my mom, and heard the news we had been fearing. Further tests revealed that indeed her cancer has returned, and a 'signficant growth' can be seen. Tomorrow she will schedule an appointment with her oncologist and discuss what options are available. How fortunate we were that she had 6 months cancer free.

Now some difficult decisions need to be made. Stage 4 brain cancer grows quickly and tends to return after treatment due to it's aggressiveness. My mom will need to decide if she should pursue further treatment, or not. Of course both options leave many questions about remaining at home, quality of life, caregiving needs, etc...I will fly out within the next few days and stay through the weekend so we can look at all the options together regarding the future.

Please keep my mom in your prayers that she might enter this next phase of her journey with a minimum of pain and confusion. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers that we might make wise decisions regarding her care, and have strength and grace during the surely difficult months to come. I know your support will ease our burden tremendously. Thank you! Special thanks to Tom, who will take over as Mr. Mom until I return...what would we do without you?!? I love you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Kofford- I am so sorry to hear that your mom's cancer has returned. You are always so amazing to keep a positive attitude when times are hard. I will be sure to be keeping her in my prayers. The kids both look terrific for their first days of school! Thank you for your comments; I too have not been a dedicated blogger due to a busy schedule. I appreciate your encouraging words.

ShutUpandRun said...

Denise, I am SO sorry to hear about your mom. Yes, she has had six months to reconnect with friends and do some things she has wanted to do and that is a blessing. I know you must be very worried about the unknowns coming up. I am thinking about you and as always would love to help out in any way that I can. Keep us posted, as I know you will. And hang in there. Love, Beth

Lorri said...

Denise...we are so sorry to hear about this news. You and your mom are two of my shared love burdens and I am praying for you...Love, Lorri

ps- see my blog to understand my burden comment!

Kim said...

Denise,

What a hard thing to share but with everyone else I'm thankful for the wonderful memories you have made your entire life and the love your family shares.
I am here if you need a shoulder to cry on or someone to sit with you this weekend. Give me a call and I'm there.
Love you and my love to the whole family as well.

emily freeman said...

I am glad I stopped by. It is nice to see your beautiful family and to hear a more detailed report of what is going on. I am so sorry to hear about the return of her cancer. Thank you for sharing this most difficult news. You will be in my prayers for sure.

Anonymous said...

Denise, we are so sorry to hear the latest news about your mom's cancer returning. Please know we are here if you need us for anything! We will continue to pray that God will be with you and your mom durning this difficult time. We pray that God will give your mom comfort and healing.
We love you very much,
Charlene