The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Grandma Lorraine's doing great!



Here she is...my mom, Grandma Lorraine!

I know many of you have been waiting to hear how my mom is doing! I was saving "the best for last", from our California posts! We had such a nice time with my mom; visiting, sharing meals, shopping, and spending time together while we were "home" in California!

My mom is such a strong lady, and despite the poor prognosis she was given with her type of brain tumor, she is living well, and looking great! She will not be able to drive again, and this is a hard lifestyle change since she was so independent, and "on the go" previous to her tumor. She also doesn't have the leg strength or stamina that she once did.

Other than those inconveniences, her cancer has remained GONE since her last Feb. chemo treatment! She will have an MRI every 3 months, and we continue to hope and pray that her scans come back clean. She has help with errands, the house, and yardwork, but is able to do most things and is still going to meetings, church, and outings with friends!

It is truly remarkable that with only one round of chemo, the cancer is in remission! Each 3 month marker will be a time of anxiety, but so far, ALL is looking good! Thank you for your prayers, thoughts, e-mails, and well wishes! It is because of my mom's strength and attitude, and your support, that she is doing so well!

Live well Grandma Lorraine!

We love you!

P.S. If you were at my mom's Celebration of Life Luau, you may recognize the next two songs playing as those on her memory DVD. So fitting for celebrating each day, and each moment in our lives!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Lorraine, you are looking wonderful!! So beautiful, relaxed and happy. Thank you Denise for posting the pictures and the detailed report of your mom's health. Praise the Lord for answered prayers!

Anonymous said...

Denise,
We missed you while you were here! I know you had much going on. Next time we hope to see you. Your mom does look great! I get to see her pretty often and I'm always happy when I get to!
Crystal Null

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice email and well wishes. Thanks also for all the blogs as I can catch up. I'm sorry I don't have the flash drive so I can't get the songs. The kids are on their summer count down and are probably not quite ready for summer vacation to end. Hope you get some time for catching up! Love, Mom

ShutUpandRun said...

Denise,
Thanks for the updates on your mom. I am SO happy to hear that not only is she is doing so well, but she feels good enough to be enjoying the things about life that she loves. This is a real blessing. Take care,
Beth

Lorri said...

Great news about your mom Denise! You need to see my camping post today, read to the bottom. :)