The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wacky Wednesday




Another busy day awaits Lorraine and Denise....would you like a glimpse into our day? Beginning at 8:30 a.m. my mom's physical therapist, Affie, came by to work with my mom on various exercises. My mom needs me to stand by and understand the expectations so I can assist her in arm, leg, and strengthening exercises. We will be adding out patient occupational therapy to this mix next week. The home health nurse will come by around 10:00 a.m. to assess my mom and check blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, review meds, side affects, etc....At 10:30 we leave for her daily radiation treatment at 11:00 a.m. and meet with the radiation oncologist. Then at 11:30 a.m. my mom has a half hour massage scheduled in the cancer center. At 1 p.m. the nurses aide comes to help with showering, (I think today will be the last day of that service though as my mom is doing so well!)




We have a piano tuner coming today after the aide, a handy man to put in a safety rail in the garage, and Ashlyn has piano lessons at 5 p.m. The early shift begins before the 8:30 a.m. appointment starting at 5:30 a.m. getting laundry done, packing snacks, preparing breakfast, stuffing backpacks, and getting kids ready for school...Kyle needs to be up and dressed by 6:45 a.m. and Ashlyn needs to be ready by 8:15 a.m. I organize all all my mom's medications, and run errands for her during the day inbetween appointments. Kyle has guitar lessons once a week, we have Brownies once a week, and the piano teacher requires that a parent who knows how to play, (me) sit with Ashlyn for 20 min. required practice sessions daily. Of course homework, housework, phone calls and luau party plans fill in this time too. This is all very busy, or at least it seems so to me!




I dare not complain though, as we are so grateful to have my mom feeling strong and well during this initial phase of her treatments. I don't want to wish away the busyness, as this busyness means we have a thriving household filled with life. My mom's life is something I never want to take for granted, nor do I want to ever take for granted the generosity and friendship of each one of you! Thanks for all your support each day. It truly brings us more strength than you can imagine! Enjoy today, and live well!

No comments: