The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Monday, January 7, 2008

Breakfast with a neurologist

I had never met a neurologist or a neurosurgeon before, until Christmas Eve. My mom was given a very kind doctor named, Dr. Pavot, who had the unpleasant job of delivering her diagnosis news to me. I remained strong during his visit, but shortly after had many tears. He came and found me minutes later, and was such a supportive doctor both medically and emotionally.

Imagine my surprise today, when Dr. Pavot asked if he could pull up a chair next to me in the hospital cafe, and eat breakfast together! During our visit he said how my mom had such a great attitude, and patients with that attitude always do the best. He also took the time, to tell me that our worry really accomplishes nothing, and that if anything, all worry does is take away from the quality of your day to day life. He said that all any of us can do, is lead a healthy lifestyle, and enjoy each day, as each day is all we are really guaranteed. I walked away from our impromptu breakfast very rejuevenated, and ready to fight this cancer battle with my mom. I am realizing that we may not win this battle, (although we will certainly try!) yet we will have won valuable time together, and that is a lesson I want my mom to take with her into the cancer battlefield...her second battle with cancer begins today, with the first day of chemo and radiation...

3 comments:

Kim said...

What a wonderful posting!!! It's very heartwarming to hear about the wonderful Dr. Pavot!! So glad he is on your team!!
Love and Hugs,
Kim

Kim said...

p.s.

Love the newest pictures- they look wonderful!
Hugs, Kim

Anonymous said...

What a great attitude to have! I am glad that God blessed you with such a fabulous Doctor!!

Love,
Charlene