The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Monday, January 21, 2008

Making Valentines with Grandma




My mom decided that today was a good day for her to work with Ashlyn on creating her annual valentines! Sure it's a little early, but who says you can't make valentines in January? Grandma and granddaughter sat for 2 hours; stamping, coloring, cutting, folding, and tying ribbons on valentines for Ashlyn's class and Brownie troop.
My mom had a full day with chemo, radiation, visiting the oncologist, and a physical therapy home visit. She was probably tired, and probably needed a nap. She doesn't let that stop her though from missing any "quality time" with the kids. Right now, she knows that this will be the best of times with her health, and she is not missing a single moment making memories with her grandchildren.
I realize how much my mom can teach me about both living and dying. Joy in the simple moments, joy in the act of creating memories, and joy in just living, is enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lorraine,
It's great to see you stamping and passing along the fun to Ashlyn. And keep up the blog messages. Isn't cyberspace interesting? I often wonder where things go that don't work when I think I've sent them. I'm having trouble with my computer and rsvp-ing to the invitation. I'll email if I can't make it work. Susie

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine,
Heard a very nice comment about you last week. A young man who works in the SERRF program said you were the best teacher he had ever had in second grade. How nice for him to remember you above all the rest these many years. Thinking about you and wishing you well.
Love, Jean