The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Peace in the journey...


"Peace is not the absence of turmoil or challenge. It is to be in the midst of these things and still find calm in your heart."

Thank you Annalora and Kevin for the perfect quote above! It certainly fits my state of mind today, and more importantly, my mother's state of mind as well. Sharon asked if she could take our picture, and this was one of the few times my mom could open her eyes today. You can also see the special blanket made of my Dad's t-shirts on her bed.


While waiting for visitors I kept busy hanging cards on my mom's bedrom door so she could enjoy the colors and messages. So many people voiced how special she was, what a difference she had made in their lives, and how she would never be forgotten. Just like the show, "Everyone Loves Raymond", I told her we could start saying, "Everyone Loves Lorraine!" :-)

We really had a good day, all circumstances considered. We had a few sets of visitors in the morning, which my mom enjoyed. She doesn't have much strength to add many words, but continues to remain polite and cordial ending each visit with, "Thank you for coming to visit me! It was good!" My friend Kim stopped by with lunch in the early afternoon and we got to catch up and spend a few hours together. I so enjoy her company, and Kim's words of encouragement always seem to give me strength for any challenge I may face. Thank you Kim, for taking time out of your day to give us a boost!

We enjoyed visiting, and my mom tried hard to stay involved in the conversation even with her eyes closed. She would interject a comment here or there so we knew she wasn't sleeping. She was able to keep down ice cream and pears earlier, and then surprisingly, she had a few bites of steak, a baked potato and broccoli for dinner. That was the best she had eaten in a few days.

Tonight Annette came and spent the evening with us. Sharon, Annette, my mom, and I all sat in her bedroom and listened to a CD of my mom's favorite singer, Johnny Mathis. She really enjoyed hearing the sound of his voice and remembering bits and pieces from her younger years. We sung "Happy Birthday" to Annette a few days early and it was sweet to hear my mom's quiet voice singing along.

It was such a pleasant day with the fireplace burning, Christmas lights twinkling, and the house filled with the sounds of friends and laughter. My mom kept repeating how "good" the day was and she seemed to be at such peace. What a perfect Christmas gift.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Calm and peace in your hearts... that is what I wish for all of you.
What a great picture of you and your mom. You are both so beautiful. Your smiles light up the room.
I hope today is another peaceful one, filled with love and memories.

Thinking of you.

Lorri said...

Oh Denise! What a sweet time you and your mom are having in these precious days.

The Steer's are praying for you and with you in our hearts. We are very glad for you that you can be there with your mom.

We love you! Lorri and Scott

Elisabeth said...

Denise~

Your mom is so lucky to have you for a daughter! I'm sure you're helping to make her journey both peaceful and joyful.

You're both in my thoughts and prayers.

Much Love,
~ Elisabeth

Kim said...

I agree with elizabeth, your mom is very lucky to have such a great daughter like you! I enjoyed the time in Red Bluff yesterday with the two of you. Thank you for allowing me to come. I love you both!

glitzen said...

I am touched by the picture of what Gayle, you, and your friends have created around your mom! What a fabulous idea to have your dad's tee shirts as a blanket tucked around her, almost like a hug from him. There is such simple yet deep meaning in it.
I wanted to tell you about a wonderful website called www.crossingthecreek.com that helped me and my family when my grandma geri passed away at home a few years ago. we printed off everything and it truly was our guide for those last days.
Your grace and dignity under fire still shines, dear one. The photo of you with your mom is so lovely. I wish I could know her, I would love her I know,.
Thank you for taking the time to let your blog readers know each update. My prayers and long distance hugs are with you.

nini said...

I'm praying for you and your family during this hard time. I truly believe that you are right in saying that it isn't "goodbye" - it really is - "until we meet again."