The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Monday, April 20, 2009

Hot flashes and mystery rashes...


Yesterday we took a drive into the mountains. Rocky Mountain National Park is only 45 min. from our home and what a difference in climate! Much of the state had 2-3 feet of snow with a recent storm, but in our area it was mostly rain. It was warm on Sunday though, so we decided to see some of the snow for the last time before it all melts away in the coming months.

We stopped at one of the visitors centers in the park and looked around...

Remember being a teenager and not wanting to go places? Why is it that family outings become more difficult as the kids age? I think that once the oldest figures out there are more exciting things going on his universe than taking a Sunday drive with the family, it all changes. Well, Kyle didn't want to get out of the car, and so he sat right here until he was good and ready to come inside. He was glad he did though as the park ranger did a presentation on, "Skins and Skulls" where we got to learn about "migrators, tolerators, and hibernators." Skulls and skins of different indigineous animals were passed around with lots of fun facts.

This 'rack' is from an elk...we would soon meet a few on our travels...
Eeek...look at that skull!

Estes Park with snow covered roofs...
Driving through town we ran into these fellows enjoying a Sunday walk...

See all that snow? Well it was a welcome reprieve for us ladies in the family. My recent hot flashes made the cool air such a relief! No need to say more. :-) Poor Ashlyn needed her own cool down. She has developed a strange case of hives/rash.

I took her to the doctor today and there are two possibilities of what this mystery rash could be caused from. She could have a childhood virus called, "5th's Disease" which goes away on it's own, or it could be a "profound reaction" to shaving cream! In her 2nd grade class they got to demonstrate fractions using shaving cream. Fun! Unfortunately, with her pale skin and red hair, her skin is extra sensitive. The hives/rash could be a product of that. Either way, she got the go ahead that it was OK to return to school, to she is back in the saddle, just a little hot and itchy in the process.

Tonight Kyle had an Orchestra Concert that was a big success, but he also had a disappointing day. He auditioned to play guitar in the Jazz band next year, and didn't make it. He's been waiting for days for the results and kept checking the bulletin board for the results. He has become quite a good guitarist and after 5 years of lessons, I really did think this would be a 'sure thing.' Well, life doesn't always go as we plan, so this was a good lesson in resiliency.

Off for now to plan my next flight out to California. I will be going sooner than I thought to start the big process of cleaning out my parents home. As an only child, this will be a BIG task, and a sad one too. I was lucky enought to win Anita's blog giveaway, and this weekend I finished the book I won called, "The Middle Place". It sure helped to put life in perspective, so I will take those lessons with me when I start the first phase of going through their house.

Until next time, have a good week! :-)

13 comments:

Sue said...

I'm sorry about Kyle's not making the jazz band. We'll just hope there is something even better for him around the corner. Hope Miss Ashlyn's rash goes away soon too, and isn't much of a discomfort to her.

Know you're in my prayers when you head to CA. It's going to be tough, but you are never alone. :-)

Love you,
Sue

**I went to Estes Park when I was a kid. I loved it there!! My grandparents lived in CO for quite a long time before coming back to CA.

Kim said...

That is a disappointment for Kyle. I know how those things can bring the kids down. And I also know what the family trip with teens is like. In our family we used to tell the kids it was "required fun". Glad to hear he did come in at some point and join in the fun.

Let me know when you book your flight. LYLAS

Lucy Marie said...

Sounds like a lovely Sunday activity. Sorry to hear about Kyle's disappointment - praying that he will find something else even bigger and better!

Safe travels to CA. I will be praying for you during that time.

Kasey said...

oh, so pretty! I miss Colo.
xo

ShutUpandRun said...

Weird about Ashlyn's rash!! Hope it has cleared up. And glad Kyle decided to get out of the car; looks like he ended up having a good time. I can't wait to have teenagers (although some days Emma already seems like one).

Unknown said...

Denise...I have been Estes Park..beautiful area...saw those deer moose..too..cracked me up that they were right in the town!

So sorry about Kyle...it is so hard to see our kids not make something.

I wish you peace when you start in at your parent's home....

Faith said...

What beautiful pictures. Wow, you sure do live in a beautiful part of the country!

Hope Ashlyn feels better soon, and same for Kyle...poor guy, that is disappointing.

I'll be praying for your upcoming trip to CA.

Love you!

MiMi said...

Oh, poor Ashlyn! I can relate to her sensitivity as I have a lot of sensitivities to fragrances, chemicals, etc. Bless her heart! I hope she feels much better soon!

What beautiful pictures! Hard for me to imagine snow right now as it is supposed to be 78 - 80 degrees here by Friday! Unbelievable!

I've gotten behind on my blogging recently, but I hope to be back in full swing very soon!

Have a blessed week!

Sofia Striffler said...

Hey Denise,

When are you coming to CA. I have been meaning to offer my help to you with your mom's house. Let me know.

Laura said...

Hi Denise!

Long time, no blog comment! Sorry about that. I've been busy busy. Patrick was the same way as Kyle when we were in Palm Springs. He wanted nothing to do w/ swimming and having fun in the pool w/ the other kids. He wanted to go back to the room and watch T.V. Ugggghhhh! L ~ A ~ Z ~ Y!!!

Less than 2 months before we are visiting you in Colorado...yippee!

Laura

This and That said...

Sounds like you had a nice weekend - even with the small challenges! Teenagers... you gotta love them. I'm mean - really - you have to! :-)
I've been to Estes Park! I have family in Loveland. The Rockies are beautiful!

glitzen said...

Wow, lots going on!

Looks like such a beautiful and interesting drive! I must visit there someday.

Sorry about Kyle. My guess is that next year will be his year. Better to have tried..so hopefully he will keep his confidence and not give up.

Yikes! Rashes? Around here we have mysterious pains (dh) and sore throat. I am doing fine, so that's good. Dh could be serious, hopefully he will quit resisting going to see a doctor.

I wish somebody could go with you to start the hard process of going through your parent's home. I don't think its a good "alone" job at all. Pls consider finding a sidekick who can be a shoulder for you if you need it. say you will? I worry you know.

Mary-Catherine said...

What a beautiful drive! I remember going on Sunday drives through the Smoky Mountains with my family. I used to love those drives!