The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer Reading and Baking...


Thank you to Beth from "Shut Up and Run" for suggesting the great book, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See! I stayed up until 2 a.m. two nights in a row as I was captivated by the story! If you are looking for a good summer read, this one is it! The story is set in 19th century China, told by a woman in her 80's. It chronicles the life of two girls and the painful ritual they both endured called, "foot binding." Although you may think you have little in common with anyone from that time period, the book touches on all the real emotions of being a woman, friendships, and marriage. It is also made me feel so fortunate to live in the 21st century that I appreciated every modern convenience I enjoyed today!

Just for fun, I tried one of my mom's old recipes for "Potato Chip Cookies" this evening. I also made her delicious "Teriyaki Skewers" and "Chinese Chicken Salad" tonight so it has been neat to remember her by preparing the foods she once did! The kids had fun crushing potato chips and although the cookies are a little plain for me, they are still moist and tastey, so I will share the recipe if you are interested! These are such easy cookies to make and a novel idea with crunchy chips!

Potato Chip Cookies

Cream: 1 cup sugar and 1 cup Crisco
Beat in: 1 egg
Add: 1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 cup nuts
3/4 cup crushed potato chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well and drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 min. Makes 3 dozen. Enjoy!
Two kids playing golf and tennis equals lots of time outdoors with little computer access...please know I am thinking of you all and will be stopping by to "visit" soon!

P.S. The estate sale has done very well...so far there have been over $3,000 in sales! Even after the estate sale gal's commission, the scholarship fund will still see a few thousand dollars! Two more sale days to go, so I will keep you posted on how it all turns out!

9 comments:

Kim said...

The cookies sound fun and different! I read Snow Flower also. It was good but I didn't enjoy her other book "Peony in Love".

Thanks for the update on the estate sale as well. That is fabulous!

Unknown said...

If nothing else there is a novel idea to making cookies with potato chips.......I make one with ice cream baked in the dough, oh my stars they are the best, but so much work! Also one my mom made.
I am going to read Snow Flower, but when I can't promise.

YAY on the estate sale!

Bonnie said...

Hi Denise,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your template! So warm and inviting!

After reading Memoirs of a Geisha a couple of years ago I got hooked on stories about girls growing up in China years ago. It's just a whole different world! I also like the author Gail Tsuynaki (I think that's the spelling). Her books are set in Japan but I think you would enjoy. A couple are "Street of a Thousand Blossoms" and "Women of the Silk".

Lucy Marie said...

What a neat cookie recipe. I've never heard of that before. The chinese chicken salad sounds good .. my mom makes one and I wonder if it is the same?

I think that is very special to carry on the recipes that your mother once made. My aunt is in the process of compiling a recipe book of all the recipes my grandma made and I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

Have a blessed holiday weekend, my friend.

Unknown said...

My mom! use to make those same cookies..plain yes..but good none the less... Great sale thus far!

Have a great 4th!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love your little golfers, Denise, and the cookies look delicious!

I have read that book, and it was fascinating. We read it for a book review luncheon, and it provided for a lively discussion. I wasn't able to attend, but my friends said there were lots of questions and comments.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Amanda Herrold said...

I need to read that book. I have heard about it! Hope your 4th was great!

stefanie said...

Haven't been here in a loong time! All caught up now. Sorry we didn't have a chance to connect when we were in CO! It was a glorious week and a half. Sounds like you're making the most of your summer. I'm off to read your article now...

Cheryl said...

Hey Denise that is a very interesting cookie recipe I will be trying it out for my Extravagirlza meeting on Wednesday as always you have great post
Cheryl...Snatch JOY~