The Kofford Family relocates to Colorado after 40 years as Californians. In December of 2007, Grandma Lorraine is diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer. Sadly, she passed away on Dec. 26th, 2008 after a year long courageous battle. Follow our journey as we keep Lorraine's memory alive, and as we learn to appreciate that each day we are given, is a gift to be enjoyed!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
~Maria Robertson

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sunsets, Rainbows, and Family Memories...


With all the rain we've had recently, it makes me appreciate when the sun does come out, and the wonderful reward rain leaves behind. Last night we ate dinner outside and watched the sun set behind the clouds...I thought of my mom and the many sunsets she enjoyed growing up in Hawaii, and of my dad and his joyful years growing up in sunny southern California.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of my parents, or of things I want to tell them. I've been corresponding with one of my mom's high school friends, and have so enjoyed having her tell me stories that match pictures I have been finding of my mom's high school days in Maui. What happy times those were, and from anyone who has lived through the 1950's has said, it was one of the best of times in history.

Tom finished hanging all of our family history photos on the wall going down toward the basement. How wonderful it was to explain to the kids who all these important people were that have impacted our lives and will continue to do so. It was neat to tell them, "You are related to every person on that wall, and because of them, you are who you are today!"

Every picture tells a story...

Where our parents came from and the experiences that made them who they are...

Beautiful wedding photos...displaying these photos brings such a sense of pride for us...our parents were both married for decades...my parents were married over 40 years when my dad passed, and Tom's parents have celebrated over 50 years of marriage! What a commitment we are both very proud of!

Life is not always easy, not every day is full of sunsets and rainbows...but we are a family, and that will see us through both the rainy and sunny days to come!

13 comments:

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Oh Denise! Your family picture wall is wonderful! Your children will remember that always.

Lucy Marie said...

That photo wall is absolutely fabulous. What a special place in your home.

mommax3 said...

What lovely photos! Reading your post brought tears to my eyes!

Unknown said...

I love your photo wall........gorgeous and rich with stories and love.
Is the little girl doing the hula you?
I showed a photo wall last week on Wednesday, I hope you get a chance to look at it.
Life is full of small moments every day that bring us love, together they are the good things life is made of.

Kim said...

The photo wall is stunning. I love, love, love it!

LenaLoo said...

That is so awesome! I'd like to do something like that someday :) How have you been doing? I have been a little absent lately, but I'm back now :)... Come by and say hi when you get a chance friend :)

glitzen said...

I keep forgetting to tell you how much I love your blog music, the first time I saw Beaches I went through a whole box of Kleenex I think.
I really love your wall of photos. Its such a neat way to show your kids the strong connections they have to the past. Congrats to both of your sets of parents, its such a tribute to their love that they celebrated so many anniversaries, and kept their vows to one another.

Unknown said...

Hi there, I was so happy to come across a blog with someone else living in Colorado. I was so done with the rain too it's finally starting to feel like summer again.
I love your wall of photos I have one too in my dining area of everyone related to us....makes a great conversation piece and allows the kids to recognize family members that live far away.
Love your blog I will be back for more :)

Shannon said...

That photo wall is amazing! What a treasure!

Sofia Striffler said...

Denise, the hallway turned out great. I love all the pictures. What great memories. Love you talk to you soon Sofia

Kim said...

First off, I have to say to Tom, "good job!" The display wall looks good! And Denise, beautiful entry on your Blog. I enjoyed hearing about your correspondence with your mom's hs friend. How special!! I enjoyed catching up on the Blog, :-)

love you,
Kim L.

Taryn said...

I love that photo wall. I want to do that someday- when I have stairs! = )

(Yes- we are in boulder a lot- church is in north boulder and we have some friends that live up there. Plus- Chris is still a part time student there for one more semester! Chris loves Boulder. I like is pretty well. = ) )

Traci said...

that's beautiful! i may have just gotten an idea... the matching frames pull it all together - love it!